Learn how to give a sensual massage this Valentines
Reviewed by Aromatherapist, Jo Manchester on 5 September, 2019.
Maybe it’s the idea of someone massaging areas of your body that you normally keep covered up like your back, thighs and arms, that is so calming. Or the knowledge that you can let yourself completely relax. But when it comes to receiving a massage, there really is nothing more sensual. So what better than to offer your partner the luxury of receiving a sensual massage from yours truly this Valentines? It is certain to put a smile on their face. Plus it is incredibly easy to do!
Give your partner the perfect Valentines day gift!
Valentine’s Day has become so commercialised. Overpriced flowers, chocolates, meals out; The romance is almost forced as you do what you are expected to do, not what you feel like doing, reconnecting with your partner romantically.
This is why the idea of giving and receiving a sensual massage can be the perfect valentine gift. Aside from the oils, it costs you nothing to do but is completely personal. It is simply a moment between you and your partner where you get to appreciate each other again.
First of all, you need to purchase the right kind of oils. There are lots to choose from:
- Sweet almond oil – this one is quite soft and smooth, giving your hands the freedom to glide over the skin easily. Fortunately it absorbs relatively quickly so you don’t have to worry about feeling oily or staining.
- Apricot kernel oil – similar to sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil is perfect if you or your partner have got a nut allergy.
- Sunflower oil – useful for more than just cooking, it is perfect for your skin as it is light and non-greasy. It is also enriched in essential fatty acids which can help your skin to stay healthy.
- Olive oil – similar to sunflower oil, olive oil has more than one use including massage. Admittedly it is a lot stickier and greasier than the others, but it is great for your skin and is commonly recommended when massaging babies.
Or, for something a bit different:
- Australian Bush Flower Essences Organic Uplifting Body Lotion – Containing Australian bush flower essences and morning citrus dynamis, this combination helps to invigorate your skin and leave it feeling smooth, refreshed, rehydrated and protected.
How to give a sensual massage:
Okay, you’ve got your oil, so what do you do next?
First you need to find somewhere quiet, where you can play some relaxing music in the background. Your bedroom or your living room will work.
Next, get your partner to lie on their stomach, preferably on something comfortable. Once they are in position you can begin.
- Warm your hands – give your hands a quick rub together to warm them up, then pour a small amount of oil into one of your hands. This will help to warm the oil before you put it on your partner’s skin.
- Place your hands gently into the small of your partner’s back – place your hands either side of their spine whilst telling your partner to relax and breathe deeply. Once they are relaxed, you are ready to start massaging. NOTE: at this point you both need to stop talking.
- Stroke your partner – use a gentle stroking motion to spread the oil across your partners back. Starting from the base of their back, move towards their neck and then down the sides of their back. Continue doing this for 2 minutes, using the whole surface of your hands, and gradually increase pressure (this is particularly important along the sides of their back).
- Knead their neck and shoulders – use your thumb and forefingers to create a gentle pinching massaging motion on their neck and shoulders, starting gently before getting firmer in areas where their muscles are tense.
- Return to their back – return to the stroking motion you started of doing, but this time rub their arms and down their legs as well
- Go back to their lower back – using both your hands, rub the flesh at the sides of their torso away from their spine. Slowly progress up their spine towards their head, so that when you reach your neck you are in a position where you can sweep your hands back to their lower back. Repeat this 3-4 times.
- Create small circles – using your thumb or forefingers, massage your partners back for a couple of minutes by making small circular motions.
Figure of 8 - using flat hands one on top of the other, start at the bottom right side of the back and move diagonally up to the left shoulder. Sweep your hands across the upper back, diagonally down to the bottom left and back to your start position in a figure of 8 shape. Repeat 3-4 times.
- Finish – complete their massage by gently stroking down their back 6 times, making your strokes lighter each time.
- Let your partner rest.
Giving a sensual massage is incredibly simple, so give it a try this Valentines and offer your partner the perfect way to finish the day.
Always ensure suitability before undertaking any of the suggestions in this article. If in doubt, please first consult with your GP or other medical professional.