Baldwins Environmental Policy
Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do. We’re dedicated to ethical and environmentally friendly practices that our staff and customers can feel proud to support.
When we choose new lines of stock, we always look for high quality products that have been ethically made.
We’re completely against animal testing at Baldwins. This means none of our products are tested on animals, and we don’t stock products by companies that practice animal testing either.
Although this very rarely happens, if we discover a product or range that we stock has been bought out by a larger company that uses animal testing, or has a bad environmental or ethical track record, we’ll stop selling them.
All of our organic essential oils, organic herbs, organic vegetable oils and most of our organic foods (Infinity Organic) are backed by the Soil Association. We pride ourselves in supporting an organisation that campaigns for healthy, humane and sustainable food, farming and land use.
With this accreditation, you can feel confident in the knowledge that all of our organic essential oils have been distilled from plants grown on organically certified land.
Reducing our impact on the environment
The volume of plastic making its way into our oceans is devastating. Packaging is a big part of the problem, so we’re dedicated to improving the way we package and ship our products:
- Whenever possible, we reuse packaging from our everyday deliveries to ensure we’re getting maximum use out of packaging that’s already in circulation.
- We shred a huge amount of the non-reusable cardboard sent to us by our suppliers to use as simple, recyclable packaging for our larger orders.
- Any cardboard received from us can be recycled or composted and a large amount of the non-organic material we use can be recycled at your local recycling depot.
- The packaging that our herbs come in is now made from 100% compostable film, with compostable labels and an eco-friendly adhesive. This means you can add it to your food waste bin or your compost heap. (For more information, see here).
- We’ve also switched to FSC sustainable jiffy bags and ditched plastic-based ones. Whilst these aren’t recyclable due to the bubble wrap inside, the paper used is from sustainable sources. We’re looking for ways to improve this, but this is currently the most environmentally friendly option. It’s important that delicate items reach you in one piece, as if they’re damaged in transit our policy is to replace them. The ecological cost of re-shipping damaged orders – C02 and energy emissions, plus everything else involved – cancels out the more environmental choice of packaging in the first place.
- When packaging items, we use 100% recyclable air-pockets for void-filling rather than more packaging. We also use sustainable paper packaging as void-fill where necessary.
- Our deliveries are sealed with a fully recyclable, eco-friendly tape which uses a water-based adhesive.
- We are phasing out (biodegradable) plastic carrier bags in our stores and will replace these with sturdy, reusable paper bags (at a small cost to the customer). We’re doing this as we feel the current government guidelines and regulations don’t go far enough to rid us of the waste of single-use plastic carrier bags.
We're always looking to improve
Our goal is to reduce our environmental footprint to zero (or as close as possible whilst running a website). That’s why we’re always trying out new ways to rid ourselves of any single-use, non-recyclable wrapping.
If you have any suggestions for us, please don’t hesitate to get in touch as we would love to hear your ideas.